Thursday 5 April 2018

Modular Asset: Constraints

In looking at assets available on the asset store, I considered a poly limit that considers the fact that these assets will be used as modular, accumulating a larger amount of polys just from the construction of environments. Each asset that is used as an environmental piece is limited to 5k polys, which allows for geometry to be detailed enough to be of a professional standard, but lacks the 10k+ polys that I have seen from other props at industry standard.

As I am able to include more geometry in these assets, I have looked at reference material, and tried to add as much detail as I can to match these images. This includes things like using Substance Painter to paint calcium buildup caused by water damage, or using alpha maps to include hanging algae from the walls and edges of the floor.

As these are game assets, I am optimising as I model, and using textures that are placeholders to UV unwrap the assets. In my tests I have done, this ensures the best tiling from Substance Painter, when implementing the PBR Materials, however, I have experienced problems with Ambient Occlusion tiling improperly due to the nature of the atlas of textures. Any grime or effects added to the materials in Substance Painter need to be tilable too, otherwise the modular asset creates a seam, so this is something that I will need to consider as I continue

No comments:

Post a Comment