Saturday 9 September 2017

PBR Shader

PBR


Today I experimented with PBR in Substance Painter.

Exploring different ways of achieving a photo realistic look, I explored PBR (Physically Based Rendering) and the different engines that can render this. Unity 5 and Unreal Engine 4 are two of the engines that are available to me to use, and can also use PBR shading, so it makes sense that these are two of the engines that I may consider if I need to use my assets in a game engine, or showcase them as such. 

These engines are also industry standard, being requirements in some of the job listings I looked at to know about, and having researched Indie games and Triple A titles, it is clear that these are two engines that are heavily customised within the companies, and are used a lot.

Below is a product of following a tutorial. I feel that the texturing is very different to working on textures in 3ds Max and Photoshop. A lot of the UV mapping can be left to the program to remap and I found it handy that the painting and texturing bakes in real time to new normal maps.


Product of a tutorial in texturing a 3D asset in Substance Painter using PBR shading


Sources:

Allegorithmic. (2017). Substance Painter: Texturing an asset from start to finish. [Online Video]. 16 June 2017. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk_YRkDsJrQ. [Accessed: 9 September 2017]

4 comments: