Friday 1 September 2017

Meeting With Tutor

Today I met with my tutor Dave to discuss my Dissertation. I told him what direction I wanted to take with it, and what research I had already undertaken. 

Firstly, the fact that it was environmental meant that I had narrowed down the skills and workflow I would need to follow to be working at a professional level, and he recommended looking at specific job roles and skills that they require of this role.

I mentioned that my research had listed: Photo realistic textures and modelling as a required skill, which he said I needed to interpret as using modern, PBR methods of material creation. For modelling, he recommended looking at sculpting in programs like ZBrush or Mudbox, and organic modelling. Creating organic objects in these programs, rather than primitive models, and low poly meshes. 

This could mean I have to look at a high poly to low poly bake workflow, where I outsource the organic modelling/ sculpting to anther program, and re-import to be baked as a texture for a low poly asset. This is something I have had experience in for previous projects, but never really followed a professional workflow when doing so.

Current Goals
I have to research more definite skills and workflows for the job of Environmental Modeling and compare how they differ from the roles i've previously researched.
I want to test different methods of modelling in 3DS Max, following tutorials and working from reference. From this, I hope to be able to take models into Sculpting programs and follow a high poly to low poly workflow. 
Similarly, using the same models, I want to compare the process of sculpting to that of PBR Materials. Whether there is any harmony in using the two together or if this is a choice I must make as another constraint.

No comments:

Post a Comment